Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Art of Ninjutsoo

Chapter 1 - The Journey

He wiped the sweat off his brow. The backpack was heavy. He turned around and looked below. He could see the maze of steps only till the clouds. He looked at his hands. They had become blue in the cold. He used them to wipe the blood coming out of his nose. He knew it was not going to be easy; he took a deep breath and continued his climb. He had to find the answer and there was only one person who could help him.

The steps narrowed as he continued his climb around the peak. He had been at it for two days now. Finally, when the steps gave way to plain ground, he collapsed. He could not move his legs anymore. He crawled for what seemed like an eternity and he made his way through an arch from where a passage way began. He could see the statue now, and the outline of a hut beyond it. He dug into his reserves, picked himself up and stumbled closer to his destination. He stopped when he saw him. There was no point in being covert. His presence was already known.

He knelt down in respect, and called out “Master

You dare disturb me from my meditation, you insolent fool!” the master’s voice bellowed. He looked at the person kneeling in front of him. “The last person who disturbed me died right there, where you are kneeling. State your name and purpose here, so I know who I killed!

The protagonist gathered himself “Master, I come from where the sun sets. I have journeyed long and hard, faced immense hardships and now I prostrate before you so I can become your pupil and learn the ancient art of Ninjutsoo.” He raised his head and showed his face to his Master – Pai Mei.

Pai Mei’s eyes were closed. “Your Cantonese is horrible. You cannot be taught. You will die before you can master Ninjutsoo. Go back before I gauge your eyes out.”

“No, Master Pai Mei. Give me a chance to prove my worth to you. If I fail, I will kill myself.”

Pai Mei opened his eyes, looked at the face of the person kneeling in front of him. His deep gaze saw through his eyes and into his mind. “You are determined, but you are a fool. Get up, so I can see how pathetic you really are. Answer my three questions and I will become your master. If you can’t...” the master let out a long hollow laugh.

“I won’t disappoint you, Master.”

Next chapter - The Three Questions


1 comment:

Vivek Menon said...

Hmmm...interesting start.Awaiting the next episode..